Saturday, January 16, 2016

Killing the boogeyman of English learners with adaptive methods

“How important do you think “grammar” is in learning English as a second language?” 

I believe grammar lessons influenced my comprehension of English more than I like to think. We had the traditional, repetitive, boring stuff but for my part it was not all that bad. Because I got dragged into the virtual world online as it developed, I felt true joy when I were able to speak with people from far away through chats in games and chatting systems in general. Therefore I were often paying attention and trying to keep my interest at top. My improvement in grammar could have been significantly faster and better in general with more activity balance and positivity around the subject. Attitudes are created in seconds and lost over years and I think the general opinion of grammar was an attributing factor to a rather slow paced progress. The things I learned from grammar lessons were very useful later. I wish teachers didn’t think of grammar as something pupils have to endure when it could be enjoyed. The influential factor of media exposure can be truly beneficial and grammar can easily be dismissed as an unnecessary practice. Reaching an adaptive way of writing with the potential to choose the right style according to context comes from a complete understanding of a language, which cannot be achieved without the “backbone” that is grammatical knowledge.

“Describe an activity for teaching any grammatical points you have  used or observed during your practice period and reflect on your experience with teaching grammar”

I did not teach any grammar myself during my first practice period, neither did I observe grammar lessons being taught. However I remember how we approached poetry and new vocabulary. The methods we applied were based on an active classroom both orally and physically. One of the activities revolved around moving around in an open space and keeping conversation going based on pre-written sentences including new words. It was easy to tell that the pupils loved the activity, everyone participated and smiled as they walked around. Even though it was not specifically grammar, it is important to approach grammar teaching with the same attitude as any other subject.
As mentioned I have not taught grammar myself, however I imagine how I would approach the fifth grade class. If the class is learning about poetry it’s a great opportunity to apply the “grammar-to-go” method by Hæge Hestnes. When learning about poems, the teacher can purposely pick a poem suitable for both grammatical and poetical learning.  This method is based on the idea that grammar should not be treated as the boogeyman of English language learning and I totally agree. For fifth graders I would pick a poem containing simple sentences and familiar words. The goal of such a lesson could be to learn the difference between nouns, adjectives, verbs and their contextual interaction.

Sigve Guttormsen

2 comments:

  1. Good text! I really like your title :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Grammar should not be treated as the boogeyman of English language learning".. very catchy, and I totally agree with you. :) But, I am little confused about whether you are arguing FOR explicit grammar teaching or AGAINST it, as you make a statement that "the influential factor of media exposure can be truly beneficial and grammar can easily be dismissed as an unnecessary practice". Is this your own statement you intend to make? Your last sentence in the first part of your text, on the other hand, seems to make an argument in favor of grammar teaching, which is contradictory to the preceding statement. Little incoherence here?

    ReplyDelete